FB apologizes for Lombok quake balloons blunder
Facebook apologised on Wednesday after users posting about a deadly earthquake in Indonesia on the social media platform saw their messages decorated with images of balloons and confetti. A 7.0 magnitude quake struck the tourist island of Lombok on Sunday, killing at least 347 people and leaving thousands homeless, according to the government-run Antara news agency. Reuters said many Indonesian speakers wrote messages on Facebook using the word ‘selamat’ – which can mean ‘safe’ but also ‘congratulations’ – triggering celebratory animations. “The feature (automatic animations for ‘congratulations’ in posts) is widely available on Facebook globally,” a spokesman for the world’s largest social network said in a statement. “However we regret that it appeared in this unfortunate context and have since turned off the feature locally.”... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, FB apologizes for Lombok quake balloons blunder, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'Thai PBS NETWORK'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - How could a sharp slowdown in China affect growth prospects for the rest of Asia?
- - Sri Lanka's last-wicket win stuns SA
- - Explained: the CPTPP trade deal
- - Li Rui: The old guard Communist who was able to criticise Xi Jinping
- - Pulwama attack: India mourns Kashmir dead
- - Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair – a growing force on the international design scene
- - Kim Jong Un to Arrive in Vietnam on Feb. 25 Ahead of Trump Summit
- - Explained: Malaysia’s 1MDB scandal
- - Kashmir attack: is terror group JeM pushing India and Pakistan to the brink of war?
- - Arrest of Journalist Maria Ressa Casts Pall on Philippines Journalistic Independence