Facebook Rolls out Tool to Block off-Facebook Data Gathering
Soon, you could get fewer familiar ads following you around the internet — or at least on Facebook.Facebook is launching a long-promised tool that lets you block the social network from gathering information about you on outside websites and apps.The company said Tuesday that it is adding a section where you can see the activity that Facebook tracks outside its service via its “like” buttons and other means. You can choose to turn off the tracking; otherwise, tracking will continue the same way it has been.Formerly known as “clear history,” the tool will now go by the somewhat awkward name “off-Facebook activity.” The feature will be available in South Korea, Ireland and Spain on Tuesday, consistent with Facebook’s tendency to launch features in smaller markets first. The company did not give a timeline for when it might expand it to the U.S. and other countries, only that it will be in “coming months.”Blocking the tracking, which is on by default, could mean fewer ads that seem familiar — for example, for a pair of shoes you decided not to buy, or a nonprofit you donated money to. It won’t change the actual number of ads you’ll see on Facebook.Facebook faces increasing governmental scrutiny over its privacy practices, including a record $5 billion fine from the U.S. Federal Trade Commission for mishandling user data. Boosting its privacy protections could help the company pre-empt regulation and further punishment. But it’s a delicate dance, as Facebook still depends on highly targeted advertising for nearly all of its revenue.CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced the “clear history” feature more than a year ago. The company said building it has been a complicated technical process, which is also the reason for the slow, gradual rollout. Facebook said it sought input from users, privacy experts and policymakers along... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Facebook Rolls out Tool to Block off-Facebook Data Gathering, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 20 August
- Older News
- Vote! Facebook to Name First Oversight Panel Members by Year-end VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Facebook said Tuesday that it expects to name the first members of a new quasi-independent oversight board by year-end.The oversight panel is intended to rule on thorny content issues, such...
- Vote! Zuckerberg: New Facebook panel can overrule him Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - SAN FRANCISCO: Facebook said Tuesday it has finalized its charter for its "independent oversight board," giving the panel the authority to overrule chief executive Mark Zuckerberg on questions of appropriate...
- Vote! Facebook Expands New Tool Aiming to Shrink 'News Deserts' VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - Facebook is trying to coax “news deserts” into bloom with the second major expansion of a tool that exposes people to more local news and information. But the social network...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks
- - Sri Lanka to hold presidential vote on Nov. 16
- - Pakistan refuses permission for Modi to fly across its airspace
- - Pakistani plan for media courts sparks fears for press freedom
- - Crossing on Pakistani-Afghan border expands to 24 hours in bid to boost trade
- - Pakistan PM to urge Trump to restart Afghan peace talks
- - UK Government Insists Suspension of Parliament Was Not Illegal