Experts Take Positive View of N. Korea’s Willingness to Hold Talks
North Korea’s announcement expressing willingness to negotiate with the United States on denuclearization is a positive step but one that needs to be dealt with cautiously, say former U.S. officials who have dealt extensively with North Korea. On Monday, North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong Un, told a South Korean delegation visiting Pyongyang that he is willing to a “hold a heartfelt dialogue” to begin negotiations with the U.S. on denuclearization. “It’s certainly a positive development if such talks get scheduled…I do hope that it moves forward,” Ambassador Wendy Sherman told VOA. “If all comments are accurate and North Korea says it will stop testing as these conversations move forward, this, of course, would be a positive sign,” said Sherman, who served as North Korea policy coordinator during the Clinton administration and most recently as undersecretary of state for political affairs during the Obama administration. The U.S. needs to proceed to talks and to not “be perceived as missing an opportunity” to talk to North Korea, according to Christopher Hill who led the U.S. delegation to nuclear talks with North Korea during the George W. Bush administration. Robert Manning, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council, also believes North Korea’s willingness to talk is a positive development and “exactly what the Trump administration had been asking for.” In response to Kim, President Donald Trump tweeted on Tuesday “possible progress being made in talks with North Korea” and added that the U.S. is ready to deal with North Korea whether or not it is sincere about denuclearization, “May be false hope, but the U.S. is ready to go hard in either direction!” South Korean envoys The latest development came after Kim sent his sister, Kim Yo Jong, to the opening ceremony of the PyeongChang Winter Olympics to propose a summit meeting between the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Experts Take Positive View of N. Korea’s Willingness to Hold Talks, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 7 March, 2018
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Asian stocks mixed as investors await US-China trade developments
- - All-girls international school comes to Bangkok
- - Chiang Mai joins Global Climate Strike on its most polluted day.
- - Flash Floods, Earthquake in Indonesia Kill Over 80
- - Air Pollution Cuts Lives Short by More Than Two Years in Thailand
- - One dead, kids injured in school bus accident in Prachinburi
- - Indonesia’s gambling with a tax on e-commerce. Will it pay off?
- - Should Media Avoid Naming the Gunmen in Mass Shootings?
- - Water sharing in Indonesia key to smothering transboundary haze
- - Asian stocks trade higher as investors await US-China trade developments