Experts: Step-by-Step Approach Needed in Denuclearization Deal With North Korea
Christy Lee contributed to this report which originated on VOA’s Korean Service.As a door opens slightly for U.S.-North Korea diplomacy to resume, the Trump administration should consider adopting a flexible step-by-step approach toward the full denuclearization of North Korea starting with freezing its fissile material production, said experts.“I think it’s important Washington become more realistic,” said Robert Einhorn, a former special advisor for nonproliferation and arms control at the State Department and a current senior fellow at the Brookings Institution. “I think it is necessary to compensate North Korean at each step of the way, but the compensation should only be worth what the North Koreans would [be prepared] to put on the table.”After months of stalled talks between Washington and Pyongyang, U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have been exchanging letters this month.Positive response to lettersBoth leaders responded positively to each other’s letter, planting hope that there may be a break in the deadlocked talks. On Monday, Trump said he sent a “very friendly letter” to Kim in response to what he described as Kim’s “beautiful letter” he received earlier this month.Over the weekend, Kim said he received an “excellent” letter from Trump and would “seriously contemplate” the content of the letter, according to North Korean state media KCNA. The contents of the letters have not been made public.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Sunday the U.S. is “literally prepared to begin at a moment’s notice” to restart talks with North Korea when Pyongyang indicates it is prepared to discuss denuclearization.Talks between Washington and Pyongyang have been stalled since their Hanoi summit held in February. Trump denied Kim’s demand to end sanctions for offering to dismantle the Yongbyon nuclear facility. Trump instead requested Kim to take full denuclearization prior to sanctions relief.For the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Experts: Step-by-Step Approach Needed in Denuclearization Deal With North Korea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 25 June
- Older News
- Vote! US mulls suspending sanctions if North Korea agrees to denuclearisation, Yonhap reports SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (4 days ago) - The United States is considering the suspension of certain sanctions on North Korea if the hermit kingdom dismantles its main nuclear facility and freezes its entire nuclear programme, South Korea’s...
- Vote! US mulls sanction suspensions if North Korea agrees to denuclearisation, Yonhap reports SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (4 days ago) - The United States is considering the suspension of certain sanctions on North Korea if the hermit kingdom dismantles its main nuclear facility and freezes its entire nuclear programme, South Korea’s...
- Vote! Labor Secretary Defends His 2008 Plea Deal With Billionaire Sex Offender VOA NEWS (4 days ago) - U.S. Secretary of Labor Alexander Acosta has defended a plea deal he helped broker with Jeffrey Epstein in 2008 in Florida. The billionaire financier, who socialized with U.S. President Donald...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Haziq Abdul Aziz detained for role in Malaysian sex video implicating minister Azmin Ali
- - Student killed by electrocution in Phuket public park under investigation
- - Pastor confirmed with Ebola as disease spreads in DR Congo
- - Local Afghan Journalist Killed by Unknown Assailants
- - Djokovic saves match points to claim fifth Wimbledon title
- - Tropical Storm Barry Downgraded to Tropical Depression
- - Floods force millions to flee homes in India, Nepal and Bangladesh
- - Investors make DSI complaint against 'forex fraudster'
- - Derailment halts southern train services
- - Koreans find crying babies most annoying on flights