Do we need diversity education in Thailand?
Submitted on Mon, 2018-10-22 13:53Nattavud Pimpa Thailand has always been a diverse place of people of different racial, cultural, physical and mental backgrounds. Unfortunately, we seem to forget to include this vital concept in our social policies. Indeed, diversity is more than a mere buzz word. With expanding regionalism, Thai businesses’ greater incorporation of individuals with different conditions and abilities into their workforce can enhance their productivity while helping contribute to social and economic progress as a whole. Unfortunately, when we examine how Thais learn about diversity or how to manage workforce of diverse backgrounds, it seems that the centrality of ‘Thai identity’ can distort the issue. It has remained unspoken and under-utilised, thanks to the growing sentiment of ‘Thainess’ and the rising trend of nationalism in this society! But Thailand’s greater adoption of diversity management can happen and it can start at schools. Thailand needs people who understand this concept and practice it. We need business operators, owners, managers, educators, and leaders who are fully aware of the challenges of diversity in the current global and local context. The creation of ethical and diversity sentinels at school level is truly important. Thai educators need to commit themselves more to teach and promote diversity management in their curriculum. Diversity gives all organisations access to a greater range of ideas and global connectedness, not just the talent that belongs to a particular world-view or some other restricting definition. Management of diversity will provide insight into the needs and motivations of all of stakeholders. The dilemma in learning and teaching of diversity in Thai schools is to move or not to move beyond the nationalist sentiments. At present, two scenarios have emerged. Known as “continued globalisation,” the first scenario is a positive one that has been widely discussed among the ‘globalists’. Emerging... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Do we need diversity education in Thailand?, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Prachatai - Monday, 22 October, 2018
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Post-Election, Indonesian President Expected to Go Soft on China Despite Maritime Flaps
- - Kim Jong Un in Russia for Putin Meeting
- - Seastead lifted ashore at Phuket port
- - Philippines' Duterte says to sail garbage back to Canada
- - Indonesia election fraud allegations are "baseless”: minister
- - Who is Zahran Hashim, the radical cleric linked to Sri Lanka bombings?
- - JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa appoints Silvano Amolini as new executive chef
- - Violent protests break out in Solomon Islands as Manasseh Sogavare elected new prime minister
- - Foreign groups likely behind Sri Lanka attacks, U.S. ambassador says
- - Election rerun in Chiang Mai as Pheu Thai winner banned