Death Toll from Earthquake Near Indonesian Island Tops 430
More than 430 people have now been confirmed dead from last week's devastating earthquake that struck off the Indonesian island of Lombok. The death toll continues to rise as search and rescue crews reach affected villages cut off from the outside world by the disaster, according to a statement issued Monday by Sutopo Purow Nugroho, a spokesman for Indonesia's Natural Disaster Agency. He said efforts to deliver emergency aid to remote villages have been hampered by damaged roads on Lombok. The 6.9-magnitude quake, which struck off the waters of the northern part of Lombok island on August 5, killed 436 people and forced more than 350,000 people to flee their homes. "The damage is and losses are very large," Nugroho said in his statement. He added that economic damage from the earthquake has risen to at least $342 million. This is the second deadly earthquake to hit Lombok within the last few weeks. A 6.4-magnitude quake on July 29 killed 17 people Indonesia is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire,'' an arc of volcanoes and fault lines in the Pacific Ocean Basin. In December 2004, a magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Sumatra island triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Death Toll from Earthquake Near Indonesian Island Tops 430, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 13 August, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! More detentions as death toll in Sri Lanka attacks rises to 359 REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Yesterday) - Sri Lankan police said on Wednesday they had detained 18 more people for questioning over the Easter Sunday attacks on churches and hotels, claimed by the Islamic State group, as...
- Vote! Sri Lanka bombings: death toll rises to 359, over 50 suspects arrested SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The death toll from the Easter suicide bombings in Sri Lanka rose to 359 and more suspects have been arrested, police said on Wednesday.Islamic State has claimed responsibility and released...
- Vote! Death toll from Sri Lanka bombing attacks rises to 359: police REUTERS ASIA NEWS (2 days ago) - The death toll from the Easter Sunday suicide bombing attacks on churches and hotels in Sri Lanka rose to 359, police said on Wednesday without providing any further details. ...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Update on The Man Who Sleeps With Rats
- - Boat sinks with dozens of schoolchildren on-board at Koh Tao pier
- - ANZAC Day at Kanchanaburi War Cemetery
- - Seastead lifted ashore at Phuket port
- - Governor pushes water-shortage solutions
- - Chalong Underpass road surfacing to cause delays, project on target for end of May finish
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: ANZAC Day in Phuket! Coral breakthrough? Army brings emergency water! || April 25
- - Phuket Town rolls out emergency water supply
- - Putin: N.Korea ready to denuclearise if it gets guarantees
- - Putin: North Korea Needs Security Guarantees to Denuclearize