Deadly Quake Lifted Indonesian Island 10 inches
Scientists say the powerful Indonesian earthquake that killed more than 300 people lifted the island it struck by as much as 25 centimeters (10 inches). Using satellite images of Lombok from the days following the Aug. 5 quake, scientists from NASA and the California Institute of Technology’s joint rapid imaging project made a ground deformation map and measured changes in the island’s surface. In the northwest of the island near the epicenter, the rupturing fault line lifted the earth by a quarter of a meter. In other places it dropped by 5-15 centimeters (2-6 inches). Some 270,000 people are homeless or displaced after the earthquake, which damaged and destroyed about 68,000 homes. Glimmers of normality It has been nearly a week since the 7.0 quake, and Lombok is still reeling but glimmers of normality are returning and devout villagers are making plans for temporary replacements of mosques that were flattened. In Tanjung, one of the worst affected districts in the hard-hit north of the island, a food market opened Saturday and locals bought vegetables and fish. Some shops also opened for business despite being in damaged buildings. “I had to borrow money from someone to buy morning glory to be resold here,” said Natbudi, one of the market vendors. “If I just stay at the camp and don’t come here to sell then I don’t have money to buy rice.” Three strong quakes Lombok, a popular and less developed tourist destination than neighboring Bali, was hit by three strong quakes in little over a week and has endured more than 500 aftershocks. A July 29 quake killed 16 people. An aftershock measuring magnitude 5.9 on Thursday caused panic, more damage and more than two dozen injuries. Villager Sunarto, buying fish at the makeshift market, said it was a relief to... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Deadly Quake Lifted Indonesian Island 10 inches, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 11 August, 2018
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Undersea Quake Near Indonesia's Bali Causes Panic, Minor Damage VOA NEWS (Today) - An undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 6.1 struck south of Indonesia's Bali on Tuesday, the European earthquake monitoring agency EMSC said, causing minor damage and prompting residents and visitors...
- Older News
- Vote! Residents flee homes, restaurant tips into river, as magnitude-5.8 quake rocks southern Philippines SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - At least 25 people were injured and several homes, churches and other buildings damaged on Saturday when an earthquake sent terrified residents of the southern Philippines fleeing their homes before...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - IMF cut global growth GDP in 2019 to 3.3% warning of higher risk
- - Phuket python caught feasting on Rawai chickens
- - 30 bedroom Patong Hotel for lease
- - Phuket surf warning issued as storm conditions rise
- - Storm weather warning issued for Phuket
- - Phuket Town main road to close one lane for sports parade
- - After Phuket student killed by electrocution, officials assure public park areas are safe
- - Modern Apartments in Patong for sale
- - Floods force millions to flee homes in India, Nepal and Bangladesh
- - Investors make DSI complaint against 'forex fraudster'