Deadly Quake Kills 98 on Indonesian Resort Island
Efforts have begun to evacuate more than a thousand foreign tourists from Indonesian resort islands a day after a powerful earthquake killed at least 98 people and left more than 200 seriously injured. Sunday's quake, recorded at magnitude 6.9 by the U.S. Geological Survey (revised down from 7.0), struck at a depth of 10.5 kilometers in the northern part of Lombok, triggering a brief tsunami warning. It was also felt on the neighboring Gili Islands as well as Bali, Sumbawa and parts of East Java. Much of the evacuation efforts are focused on the tiny Gili islands, three tiny vacation islands near Lombok. Tourists lined up on the small beaches early Monday waiting for the boats that would take them to the larger Lombok island. Indonesia's Garuda Airlines said it was adding extra flights from Lombok to accommodate tourists seeking to leave. Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for the country's... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Deadly Quake Kills 98 on Indonesian Resort Island, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - How could a sharp slowdown in China affect growth prospects for the rest of Asia?
- - Hong Kong seizes $1m worth of rhino horn at airport
- - Pulwama attack: India mourns Kashmir dead
- - Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair – a growing force on the international design scene
- - Kim Jong Un to Arrive in Vietnam on Feb. 25 Ahead of Trump Summit
- - Explained: Malaysia’s 1MDB scandal
- - Kashmir attack: is terror group JeM pushing India and Pakistan to the brink of war?
- - Explained: the CPTPP trade deal
- - Arrest of Journalist Maria Ressa Casts Pall on Philippines Journalistic Independence
- - Iran says Pakistan to 'pay high price' over attack, warns Saudi