Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
The United States and the Afghan Taliban have resumed peace talks in Qatar to try to conclude an agreement that would bring an end to the longest U.S. overseas military intervention.The crucial ninth round of talks in the yearlong dialogue process got under way Thursday in the Qatari capital of Doha amid expectations it will lead to the much-awaited peace agreement between the two adversaries. The talks come a day after clashes with Taliban insurgents in northern Afghanistan killed two American soldiers, bringing the number of U.S military fatalities in the country this year to 14, exceeding the 2018 total. FILE - Members of the Taliban attend the second day of the Intra Afghan Dialogue talks in the Qatari capital, Doha, July 8, 2019.Zalmay Khalilzad, the special reconciliation envoy for Afghanistan, is leading the American side while Sher Muhammad Abbas Stanekzai is heading insurgent negotiators, said a Taliban spokesman."Head of occupation forces Scott Miller was also present in these negotiations," Zabihullah Mujahid said, referring to the American commander of U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan.Khalilzad will travel to Kabul for meetings with the Afghan leadership after concluding the meeting in Doha. The Afghan-born chief U.S. negotiator tweeted before leaving Washington on Tuesday that "we will try and close on remaining issues. We're ready. Let's see if the Taliban are as well."The deal, if reached, would require Washington to announce a timeline for withdrawing U.S.-led foreign troops from the country. In return, the Taliban will give guarantees they will not allow transnational terrorists to use Afghan soil for attacks against other countries. The agreement would pave the way for talks among the Taliban and Afghan stakeholders, including representatives of the government in Kabul. Those talks will focus on a permanent cease-fire and issues related to future governance in Afghanistan.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 22 August
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Notions of Peace, Reintegrating Fighters Fade with Afghan Violence VOA NEWS (Today) - Prospects for peace in Afghanistan appeared more remote Thursday after an attack on a government building in eastern Afghanistan killed nine and the Taliban warned of attacks on polling centers...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! US Afghanistan Envoy to Brief Lawmakers on Peace Talks VOA NEWS (Today) - U.S. special envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad is set to appear Thursday before a House of Representatives committee to answer questions about now-stalled peace talks with the Taliban and the...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Pakistan PM Will Urge Trump To Resume Talks With Taliban VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan says he will urge U.S. President Donald Trump to resume talks with the Taliban to help bring peace to Afghanistan when he meets with him...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Wichit Municipality opens flood-relief donations center
- - Concerns raised again over Phuket wild monkey populations
- - Ex-Japanese Energy Company Executives Acquitted in Fukushima Disaster
- - Water outage to hit Kathu, Koh Kaew
- - PM Prayut donates 100,000 baht to help flood victims
- - Bermuda Battens Down for Category 3 Hurricane Humberto
- - Polarized Politics Deepens Divide Over Who Is a 'Real' American
- - France’s Macron Toughens Immigration Stance Amid Fears of More Asylum Seekers
- - LA 'Tent Cities' Becoming Shantytowns, Expert Says
- - Trump 'Substantially' Increases Iran Sanctions, Blaming Tehran for Saudi Oil Field Attacks