Chinese tourists spend big during Chinese New Year holiday
Spending by Chinese tourists during the Chinese New Year holiday around the world was the highest in Thailand. Alipay, a leading digital payment platform offered by Ant Financial, an affiliate of Alibaba Group has done the sums. The transactions were recorded between February 4-10, and data drawn from the 54 international markets where Alipay is accepted. The number of transactions in Thailand ranked second worldwide after Hong Kong, and topped the list in Southeast Asia with an average spending of 1,646 yuan (7,650 baht). The high spending was put down to convenience stores and duty-free shops accepting Alipay and offering special promotions for Alipay users. King Power Duty Free recorded a 50 per cent increase in transactions thanks to discounts for Alipay users, while transactions at convenience stores also rose by 38 per cent due to their “Alipay corner”. Chinese visitors are also now able to get tax refunds at 7-Eleven branches in the capital. Chinese spenders, although spending less time per holiday, spend more per person, per day than other tourist demographics entering the country. Read a previous story about tourist spending patterns HERE. The post Chinese tourists spend big during Chinese New Year holiday appeared first on The Thaiger Thailand news.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Chinese tourists spend big during Chinese New Year holiday, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Thursday, 21 February
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Tourist arrivals up, but Chinese down. April 2019 tourist numbers. Phuket Gazette (Yesterday) - The Thai sports and tourism ministry reports that Thailand saw a 3.31% rise in total tourist arrivals in April compared to a year earlier, after a 0.69% decline in March....
- Older News
- Vote! National park chief hunting Chinese “urchin bashing” tourists Samui Times (2 days ago) - National Park officials in southern Thailand are hunting a group of Chinese tourists after they took several urchins out of the sea. They then bashed them and left them on...
- Vote! Chinese wrongly accused of beating sea urchins Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - SATUN: Local police are tracking down a person who posted a message online wrongly accusing a group of Chinese tourists of beating sea urchins on a beach at Koh Lipe....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Taiwan to Expand Joint Rescue Operations in Disputed Sea
- - Bomb in Afghan mosque kills senior cleric during Friday prayers
- - Bomb at Sunni Muslim mosque in Pakistan kills two, wounds 14
- - Facial recognition leads to fake-passport arrest
- - 3 bedroom Private Pool Villa for sale Chalong
- - Doctors could be dishing out weed by end of June
- - HK leader decries German asylum for 'bail jumpers'
- - Thailand’s King Vajiralongkorn urges post-election parliament to focus on national stability
- - Three Indians die on overcrowded Everest
- - North Korea blames ‘dishonest’ US position for failed Hanoi summit, wants 'new calculation' to resume talks