Chinese President Defends 'Belt and Road' Projects in Africa
Chinese President Xi Jinping told African political and business leaders Monday that China's investments on the continent are made with an eye on improving Africa's development, and not mere "vanity projects." President Xi's remarks at opening the triennial Forum on China-Africa Cooperation in Beijing were aimed at assuring the African representatives about his "Belt and Road" initiative to lend billions of dollars to Asian and African countries to fund massive infrastructure projects. Critics of the Xi's plan say the massive debt would leave these countries beholden to China. "China's investment in Africa comes with no political strings attached," Xi told the group. "China does not interfere in Africa's internal affairs and does not impose its own will on Africa." China has made inroads on the African continent in recent years, striking numerous trade and infrastructure deals with several nations. President Xi pledged $60 billion in loans and assistance for Africa... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Chinese President Defends 'Belt and Road' Projects in Africa, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Analysis: China Pulling out All Stops in Canada Tensions
- - Phuket lifeguard, 19, dies in motorbike crash
- - Don’t rip off tourists – be good hosts! – Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais
- - Exclusive: Sri Lanka says has $300 million loan offer from Bank of China, may increase to $1 billion
- - Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers
- - Belarus Model Arrested for Thai Sex Seminar Pleads Guilty
- - 'Made in China 2025' Feels Trade War Pinch
- - Germany hold 'Iran spy' over Afghan ops
- - Robert Schellenberg case: China accuses Canada of 'double standards'
- - US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he’ll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand
- Older News
- Vote! North Korea's Kim appears to have a big goal: Winning Belt and Road investments from Beijing CNBC - ASIA (5 days ago) - The nuclear-armed nation is seeking millions in foreign investments, and experts say China's Belt and...