Chinese President Defends 'Belt and Road' Projects in Africa
Chinese President Xi Jinping told African political and business leaders Monday that China's investments on the continent are made with an eye on improving Africa's development, and not mere "vanity projects." President Xi's remarks at opening the triennial Forum on China-Africa Cooperation in Beijing were aimed at assuring the African representatives about his "Belt and Road" initiative to lend billions of dollars to Asian and African countries to fund massive infrastructure projects. Critics of the Xi's plan say the massive debt would leave these countries beholden to China. "China's investment in Africa comes with no political strings attached," Xi told the group. "China does not interfere in Africa's internal affairs and does not impose its own will on Africa." China has made inroads on the African continent in recent years, striking numerous trade and infrastructure deals with several nations. President Xi pledged $60 billion in loans and assistance for Africa at the last China-Africa forum in 2015, which was held in South Africa.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Chinese President Defends 'Belt and Road' Projects in Africa, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 3 September, 2018
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Malaysia’s Mahathir Mohamad to meet China’s Xi Jinping at sidelines of belt and road summit, as ties recover over ECRL project SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad will be meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang separately when he visits Beijing for the Belt and Road Initiative Summit next week,...
- Older News
- Vote! South Korea’s Moon tries to leave US-China orbit, but lands back on Beijing’s belt and road SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (3 days ago) - South Korean President Moon Jae-in began a week-long tour of Central Asia on Tuesday, in an effort to shore up support for ambitious energy deals and move the country beyond...
- Vote! Malaysia Pulls About-Face Ahead of China's Belt and Road Forum VOA NEWS (7 days ago) - In a twist, China has announced that it has persuaded Malaysia to resume a canceled rail project worth $10.7 billion. The sudden about-face by Kuala Lumpur, which had earlier rejected...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Evangelical Group Says Laos Has Deported 3 American Missionaries
- - Thailand busts 'seasteading' effort by American
- - Wildfire contained at Phromthep Cape, fire warning re-issued
- - After Songkran, Phuket water reductions continue to stretch reserves until rains return
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Cobra eggs missing! Arrest in Phi Phi rape case! Worst Songkran road record? || April 18
- - 348 die in Songkran road carnage
- - How Vietnam Quietly Built up 10 Islands in Asia’s Most Disputed Sea
- - What’s China got to do with elections in India’s southernmost state?
- - North Korea’s ‘new guided weapon’ designed for ground combat, not a ballistic missile, says South’s military
- - Japan’s trying to fight gambling addiction ahead of casinos’ expected arrival