Chinese owners using condo investments as a ‘hotel’
PHOTO: Thai Rath Residents in condos around the country are getting sick of the parade of short-stay travellers using their condo rooms as defacto hotel rooms, travellers renting out their rooms from Chinese owners who run their investments as quasi hotel rooms. Thai Rath reports that “Condo C Ekkamai” (Sukhumvit Soi 63) tenants are at the end of their tether. They claim Chinese owners are renting their rooms to their compatriots and running their mini-businesses as quasi hotels. Many of the rentals were daily, a situation that remains illegal under Thai law. “At Songkran the condo resembled Beijing,” said one of the complainants. “The owners had set up check-in and check-out facilities and baggage storage. There was also a team of maids on hand to do the cleaning in between guests.” The ongoing problem had been the subject of many complaints to the condo’s body corporate who claim they are powerless to stop it (which is incorrect). Legally, only rentals of more than 30 days are allowed without having the appropriate business and hotel licences. ‘Room sharing’, a situation used by the Airbnb business model for example, is a different matter and skates along a grey line in current Thai laws. SOURCE: Thai Rath “Condo C Ekkamai” (Sukhumvit Soi 63) The post Chinese owners using condo investments as a ‘hotel’ appeared first on The Thaiger Thailand news.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Chinese owners using condo investments as a ‘hotel’, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Monday, 20 May
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Phuket's new condo supply nears seven-year peak Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - New condo supply launched in Phuket this year will be the highest since 2012 with more than 6,200 units, driven by the booming tourism industry and investment from the public...
- Older News
- Vote! Chinese move their purchase power away from Bangkok condo market Phuket Gazette (2 days ago) - Chinese condo buyers are veering their purchase power away from the Bangkok property market citing the strong Thai currency, overpricing and a supply glut. 2015 – 5.8 Yuan to the...
- Vote! Ocean view Condo for sale Patong Phuket Property Sales (2 days ago) - Phuket Travel Tips And Advise - Phuket Travel, Real Estate & Property AgentOcean view Condo for sale Patong. Patong Local Western style Condo with Foreign freehold ownership and 700 m...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - China-Philippines ‘hit and run’: Duterte’s downplaying of the incident is sign of his Beijing dilemma
- - Philippine fishing boat’s sinking in South China Sea was ‘just a collision’, Duterte says
- - Strong earthquake hits southern China; injuries reported
- - Far-right motive seen in German pro-migrant official's murder
- - Book nerd PM: Prayut’s new image?
- - Japan protests Chinese activity near disputed East China Sea islands
- - ADB says loan talks ongoing after Pakistan claims $3.4 billion agreed
- - Even without a House majority, junta can still function minimally.
- - More than 40 per cent of India’s new MPs face criminal charges but they got elected anyway
- - Modi, Duterte, Widodo have something in common – and it’s not just winning elections