China's August Trade Surplus With US Hits Record $31 Billion
China's trade surplus with the United States reached a record $31 billion in August, despite hefty tariffs recently imposed on Chinese goods. The news of the surplus came just hours after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened to impose another $267 billion worth of tariffs on Chinese imports, which would cover virtually all the goods China imports to the United States. The potential tariffs would come on top of punitive levies on $50 billion in Chinese goods already in place as well as another $200 billion that Trump says “could take place very soon.” He told reporters traveling with him to Fargo, North Dakota "behind that, there's another $267 billion ready to go on short notice if I want." “That changes the equation,” he added. Such a move would subject virtually all U.S. imports from China to new duties. The president's comments Friday came one day after a public comment period... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China's August Trade Surplus With US Hits Record $31 Billion, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Above the concrete canopy: Hong Kong from the sky
- - Osaka sets up Svitolina last-eight test, Serena faces showdown
- - Thailand Tourism Highlights for 2018
- - These are the biggest global risks of 2019
- - Asia stocks gain ahead of Chinese GDP numbers
- - Could Thailand become the next big higher-education powerhouse?
- - 'Baby formula ring' leads to six arrests in Australia
- - China economy: Fourth quarter growth slips to 6.4%
- - A challenging Baht for the Thai economy in 2019 ?
- - China's economy grew at slowest pace in 28 years in 2018
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! SET rises on trade surplus but BDMS, BA shares slump Bangkok Post (Today) - A trade surplus and a surge in oil prices drove the Stock Exchange of Thailand...
- Older News
- Vote! Mixed messages after US-China trade talks show ‘no progress’ ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (6 days ago) - JUST hours after US President Donald Trump said he expects a trade deal to be...
- Vote! Why China’s trade surplus with the US hit a record high despite Trump’s tariffs ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (6 days ago) - DESPITE a hardline tariff offensive from US President Donald Trump, China’s trade surplus with the...