China to Show New Warships as Beijing Flexes Military Muscle on Navy Anniversary
China will show off new warships including nuclear submarines and destroyers at a parade next week marking 70 years since its navy's founding, a senior commander said on Saturday, as Beijing flexes its increasingly well-equipped military muscle. President Xi Jinping is overseeing a sweeping plan to refurbish the People's Liberation Army (PLA) by developing everything from stealth jets to aircraft carriers as China ramps up its presence in the South China Sea and around self-ruled Taiwan. The navy has been a key beneficiary of the modernization plan as China looks to project power far from the country’s shores and protect its trading routes and citizens overseas. Last month, Beijing unveiled a target of 7.5 percent rise in defense spending for this year, a slower rate than last year but still outpacing China's economic growth target. Deputy naval commander Qiu Yanpeng told reporters in the eastern city of Qingdao that Tuesday's naval parade - likely to be overseen by Xi himself, though China has not confirmed that - will feature 32 vessels and 39 aircraft. "The PLA Navy ship and aircraft to be revealed are the Liaoning aircraft carrier, new types of nuclear submarines, new types of destroyers, as well as fighter aircraft," Qiu said, without giving details. "Some ships will be revealed for the first time." The Liaoning, the country's first carrier, was bought second-hand from Ukraine in 1998 and refitted in China. It's not clear if China's second carrier, an as-yet unnamed ship developed and built purely in China, will also take part, but in the past few days state media has run stories praising recent sea trials. Around a dozen foreign navies are also taking part. While Qiu did not give an exact number, China has announced the parade would include ships from Russia, Singapore, India, Thailand and... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, China to Show New Warships as Beijing Flexes Military Muscle on Navy Anniversary, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Saturday, 20 April
- Older News
- Vote! China Rebukes US Over Warship Sail-by in Taiwan Strait VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - China said Thursday it had lodged a protest with Washington after two US warships sailed through the Taiwan Strait amid rising tensions between the two powers. The US Navy said...
- Vote! Donald Trump’s intimidation of Iran with US Navy movements in the Persian Gulf risks weakening its South China Sea operations SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - US President Donald Trump has sent warships and other military assets to the Persian Gulf to intimidate the Iranian regime. He may have not grasped that this decision could negatively...
- Vote! Trump’s intimidation of Iran with US navy movements in the Persian Gulf risks weakening its South China Sea operations SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - United States President Donald Trump has sent warships and other military assets to the Persian Gulf to intimidate the Iranian regime. He may have not grasped that this decision could...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Narendra Modi scores a remarkable election victory
- - Deals and Coupons: New Way to Boost up the Sales of Your Business
- - Private penthouse for sale Surin beach
- - Trump takes dig at Japan for 'substantial' trade advantage and calls for more investment in US
- - China condemns Germany for sheltering HK activists
- - Trump digs at Japan for 'substantial' trade advantage and calls for more investment in US
- - All Thai Taxi freezes plan to expand fleet
- - Prem's birthplace in Songkhla draws mourners
- - Fishing trawler capsizes off Phang Nga in local storm cell
- - No Japan-US deal by the time Donald Trump and Shinzo Abe meet on Monday, economy minister Toshimitsu Motegi says