China, Southeast Asian Nations Agree to Draft of Conduct Pact in South China Sea
China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have approved a draft of a proposed agreement to prevent fighting in the disputed South China Sea. China and the 10-nation bloc, which includes four claimants involved in the territorial dispute, have been engaged in sporadic negotiations for years to craft a "code of conduct" aimed at preventing violent outbreaks in the region. Singapore Foreign Minister Vivian Balakrishnan said Thursday, at the start of the annual meeting of top diplomats from China and the association's member nations, the development is a "milestone." Chinese counterpart Wang Yi said approval of the draft was "good news" and a "breakthrough." China has transformed seven disputed reefs into man-made islands replete with three runways, surface-to-air missiles and other weapons systems. Without naming China, ASIAN foreign ministers cited Beijing's actions, saying in a statement they "took note of the concerns expressed by some countries on the land... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China, Southeast Asian Nations Agree to Draft of Conduct Pact in South China Sea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
- - Thai woman murdered in Phuket – police search for Greek husband
- - Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists
- - Tham Luang cave to be closed from Feb 19
- - Hua Hin: Thai woman trampled to death by elephants on her way to do the washing
- - Investigate this “mobile monk” sprinkling tourists with holy water!
- - Suspect in murder of two monks arrested
- - Iran summons Pakistan's envoy over deadly suicide bomb attack - Tasnim
- - Pakistan rolls out red carpet for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed
- - Trump: US Trade Talks with China Making 'Big Progress'
- Older News
- Vote! Explained: South China Sea dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The South China Sea, one of the world’s busiest waterways, is subject to several overlapping...
- Vote! This is no valentine: the complexities of interracial dating for Asians in North America SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (5 days ago) - Like most single people who dread the arrival of Valentine’s Day, finding a love match...
- Vote! China Upbeat on US Trade Talks, But S. China Sea Tensions Weigh VOA NEWS (7 days ago) - China struck an upbeat note on Monday as trade talks resumed with the United States,...