China says French asylum for ex-Interpol chief’s wife ‘abuse of procedure’
BEIJING said Wednesday France granting asylum to the wife of former Interpol chief Meng Hongwei — who has been charged in China with accepting bribes — would be an abuse of its own legal procedures. “There is no so-called political persecution,” said Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Geng Shuang, days after Grace Meng’s lawyer in France said she had been granted asylum. “If Meng Hongwei’s wife wanted to apply for political asylum in France, it would be an abuse of French legal procedures.” Grace Meng, who was given police protection in France after she alleged an abduction attempt at the start of the year, was granted asylum on May 2 along with the couple’s two children, their lawyer Emmanuel Marsigny told AFP. Meng Hongwei disappeared last September after leaving the French city of Lyon, where Interpol is based, for China. SEE ALSO: ‘Missing’ Chinese Interpol chief detained over alleged crimes, says Beijing He later sent his wife a social media message telling her to “wait for my call”, and then a knife emoji signifying danger. A few weeks later, Interpol was informed that Meng, the first Chinese president at the international police agency, had resigned, with Beijing later announcing he was being held on suspicion of taking bribes. He was officially charged with accepting bribes last week and Chinese prosecutors said Meng had abused his positions as Marine Police chief and vice minister of public security to illegally obtain “extremely large” amounts of property. SEE ALSO: Missing China tycoon’s company says ‘operating as normal,’ shares slump But his wife said recently that Chinese officials had presented “no proof whatsoever to back up their charges”. In French media interviews, she has said she fears for her life, and was afraid she and her seven-year-old twins would be the targets of kidnapping attempts. Meng... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, China says French asylum for ex-Interpol chief’s wife ‘abuse of procedure’, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: ASIAN CORRESPONDENT - Wednesday, 15 May
- Older News
- Vote! Saudi Arabia extradites five Sri Lankans linked to Easter Sunday attacks SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - Five Sri Lankans wanted in connection with the Easter bombings that killed 258 people were arrested in Saudi Arabia and extradited Friday, police and Interpol said.“One of the alleged ringleaders...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Shan State drug blitz nets big haul
- - Govt ready to host Asean summit
- - Pakistan says to get $3.4 billion in budgetary aid from ADB
- - Taiwan Beauty Pop-Up Store Thrills Malaysia
- - Japan’s anime industry in crisis even as global popularity soars
- - Two killed in motorcycle taxi brawl
- - 16 bedroom Patong bay Guest House for lease
- - any bedroom Private Cozy Villa up for grabs Kathu
- - What will Narendra Modi do in his new term as India’s prime minister?
- - HK extradition bill on hold but protests continue