China Promises Not to Weaken Yuan, Criticizes US Concern
China promised Tuesday not to weaken its currency to boost exports during a tariff fight with Washington and rejected U.S. concern about the yuan's sagging exchange rate as groundless and irresponsible. Beijing has no intention of using "competitive devaluation," said a Foreign Ministry spokesman, Lu Kang. A U.S. official told reporters in Washington the Trump administration is concerned about the weakening yuan. The official spoke on condition of anonymity ahead of Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin's trip to Indonesia for meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank. The tightly controlled yuan has lost almost 10 percent of its value against the dollar this year. That prompted suggestions Beijing might weaken the currency to help exporters that face punitive U.S. tariffs of up to 25 percent. However, the decline also threatens to damage the Chinese economy by encouraging capital to flow out of the world's second-largest economy,... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China Promises Not to Weaken Yuan, Criticizes US Concern, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Apirat urged to remain neutral
- - Khao Yai blazes brave new trail
- - Report: US Wants Pledge for Stable Chinese Yuan as Talks Resume
- - Fashion mastermind Lagerfeld dies
- - Memorial Speaks to North Korea's Ties to Summit Host Vietnam
- - Factbox: Pakistan, India troop strength and weapons
- - If Korean war ends after Trump-Kim summit in Hanoi, will Seoul still require national service?
- - Weather for February 20
- - Trump: 'No Rush' to See North Korea Denuclearize
- - Trump Says No 'Magical Date' for Imposing More Tariffs on China
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Major Asia markets close higher; Chinese yuan jumps CNBC - ASIA (Today) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that trade talks with China are going well, adding...
- Vote! Stocks in Asia mixed; Chinese yuan jumps CNBC - ASIA (Yesterday) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that trade talks with China are going well, adding...
- Vote! Stocks in Asia mostly higher; Chinese yuan jumps CNBC - ASIA (Yesterday) - U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that trade talks with China are going well, adding...