China Places Big Bet on Xi Jinping, Scraps Presidential Term Limits
In the short space of two weeks, China has announced and on now voted with near unanimous approval to amend the country’s constitution and give party state’s powerful leader Xi Jinping a mandate to stay in office indefinitely. On Sunday, a controversial amendment to scrap a two-term limit on the office of the president was approved along with 20 other changes. The amendments passed smoothly in the largely rubber stamp National People’s Congress with only five dissenting votes. Of the nearly 3,000 delegates to the congress, 2,958 voted in favor. The decision to scrap a two-term limit to the president’s term in office was divulged to the public only in late February, but the Communist Party has quickly been working on a narrative that the decision was in the works for months and the changes have widespread public approval. This despite the fact that discussion of... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China Places Big Bet on Xi Jinping, Scraps Presidential Term Limits, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Inclusive plan urged to solve insurgency
- - December drop drags 2018 exports
- - Pattaya maps out water safety plan
- - Boffs to test Premchai's wife's tusks
- - CSD shuts illegal sports betting site
- - PPRP 'made a mistake' on farmers' land
- - Prawit promises better care for kids of illegal aliens
- - Asian stocks poised for cautious trading amid concerns about the global economic outlook
- - Sudarat, Chadchart dismiss rumours of rift
- - Prayut promises poll date 'coming soon'
- Older News
- Vote! Afghanistan's Ghani launches bid for second presidential term REUTERS ASIA NEWS (2 days ago) - Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani on Sunday entered the 2019 presidential race after forging an alliance...