China Assumes Authority Over Hong Kong Rail Station
A new high-speed rail station linking Hong Kong and mainland China opened Tuesday under Chinese authority, raising new worries among Hong Kong residents of a further erosion of the territory's autonomy. China formally took control of the new depot in Hong Kong's West Kowloon district during a quiet nighttime handover ceremony that was not announced until it was over. Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam denied that officials were being "sneaky" about the opening of the station, which will officially open on September 23. Chinese authorities will conduct customs and immigration checkpoints at the new station, which will be subject to Chinese law and patrolled by mainland security officers. Pro-democracy advocates say the new rail station is a further example of the mainland's tightening grip on the former British colony, which was granted a huge level of autonomy under the "one country, two systems" formula established when Beijing regained control of the territory in 1997. ... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, China Assumes Authority Over Hong Kong Rail Station, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Tuesday, 4 September, 2018
- New In Last 5 Minutes
- Vote! Unregistered voters, Wi-fi woes led to long wait for Indonesian workers at polling stations in Hong Kong: election official SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - A report on an incident involving migrants who stormed a polling station on Sunday in Wan Chai, after voting for Indonesian elections had closed, has been sent to Jakarta, Hong...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! Indonesia says it will not extend voting period for Hong Kong-based citizens after complaints from people of being unable to vote on Sunday SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - Indonesian officials will not extend the voting period for Hong Kong-based citizens who have not yet voted in the country’s general election.The country goes to the polls for presidential and...
- Older News
- Vote! Hong Kong’s Peak Tram expects surge in visitors after revamp Bangkok Post (2 days ago) - The revamp of Hong Kong’s century-old Peak Tram is set to boost passenger numbers by double-digit growth in the first year and meet modern needs without changing the classic style...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Filipino killed by drunk driver
- - Nong Bank, 8, honoured as model citizen for cleaning Patong canal
- - Day 6 of Seven Days road-safety campaign sees woman hospitalised in motorbike accident
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Fatal zipline fall! B60Mn up in Patong smoke? Doggie paddling miracle! || April 17
- - What Will It Take for Cambodia to Actually Strike Oil and Gas?
- - Asian Energy Company Bangchak Invests in Enevate’s Fast-Charging EV Battery Technology
- - Indonesia Readies for Presidential Vote
- - Confusion, mistrust ahead of Afghan peace meeting in Doha
- - Unregistered voters, Wi-fi woes led to long wait for Indonesian workers at polling stations in Hong Kong: election official
- - ‘For the peace and pleasure of the people’: Myanmar pardons more than 9,000 prisoners in New Year amnesty