China Assumes Authority Over Hong Kong Rail Station
A new high-speed rail station linking Hong Kong and mainland China opened Tuesday under Chinese authority, raising new worries among Hong Kong residents of a further erosion of the territory's autonomy. China formally took control of the new depot in Hong Kong's West Kowloon district during a quiet nighttime handover ceremony that was not announced until it was over. Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam denied that officials were being "sneaky" about the opening of the station, which will officially open on September 23. Chinese authorities will conduct customs and immigration checkpoints at the new station, which will be subject to Chinese law and patrolled by mainland security officers. Pro-democracy advocates say the new rail station is a further example of the mainland's tightening grip on the former British colony, which was granted a huge level of autonomy under the "one country, two systems" formula established when Beijing regained control... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China Assumes Authority Over Hong Kong Rail Station, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Analysis: China Pulling out All Stops in Canada Tensions
- - Phuket lifeguard, 19, dies in motorbike crash
- - Don’t rip off tourists – be good hosts! – Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais
- - Exclusive: Sri Lanka says has $300 million loan offer from Bank of China, may increase to $1 billion
- - Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers
- - Belarus Model Arrested for Thai Sex Seminar Pleads Guilty
- - 'Made in China 2025' Feels Trade War Pinch
- - Germany hold 'Iran spy' over Afghan ops
- - Robert Schellenberg case: China accuses Canada of 'double standards'
- - US English teacher faces rape charge, meets Big Joke who says he’ll be prosecuted then thrown out of Thailand
- Older News
- Vote! Hong Kong scientists claim 'broad-spectrum' antiviral breakthrough Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong scientists claim they have made a potential breakthrough discovery in the...
- Vote! Hong Kong luxury home buyer bails, loses $4.6m deposit ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (5 days ago) - A HOME buyer in Hong Kong has walked out of the purchase of a luxury...
- Vote! Hong Kong plans 12,600 public flats at ex-airport site ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (7 days ago) - HONG KONG’S government is looking to provide 12,600 public housing flats at a former airport...