China’s January Exports, Imports Surge; US Trade Deficit Grows
China’s export growth accelerated in January amid mounting trade tension with Washington while imports surged as factories stocked up ahead of the Lunar New Year holiday. Exports rose 11.1 percent compared with a year earlier to $200.5 billion, up from December’s 10.9 percent growth, trade data showed Thursday. Imports surged 36.9 percent to $180.1 billion, up from the previous month’s 4.5 percent. China’s politically sensitive trade surplus with the United States widened by 2.3 percent from a year ago to $21.9 billion, while its global trade gap narrowed by 60 percent to $20.3 billion. “Export growth remained robust in January, indicating steady global demand momentum,” said Louis Kuijs of Oxford Economics in a report. “While we expect the favorable external setting to continue to support China’s exports, rising U.S.-China trade friction remains a key risk,” Kuijs said. “We expect the U.S. administration to scale up on measures impeding imports from... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, China’s January Exports, Imports Surge; US Trade Deficit Grows, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Gold prices unchanged at B19,350
- - I spent the first day of my honeymoon in a jail cell with my husband
- - Authorities enter Tham Luang Cave for first time since rescue of 13
- - Bangkok water spraying nightly to control haze
- - ‘Don’t cry’: Serena Consoles Australian Open Foe; Halep Next
- - Thai Buddhist monks killed in temple shooting
- - EU lifts yellow card on Thai fishing at some cost and with challenges ahead
- - Activist wants Palang Pracharath donations probed
- - 66 dead in Mexican pipeline blast
- - Wolves edge Leicester 4-3
- Older News
- Vote! EU on the verge of imposing tariffs on Burmese, Cambodian rice ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (4 days ago) - THE European Union plans to impose tariffs on rice coming from Cambodia and Burma for...
- Vote! Why China’s trade surplus with the US hit a record high despite Trump’s tariffs ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (4 days ago) - DESPITE a hardline tariff offensive from US President Donald Trump, China’s trade surplus with the...
- Vote! China's exports saw biggest fall for two years in December BBC News Asia (5 days ago) - Both exports and imports fell last month, but the trade surplus with the US hit...