Chiang Mai Song Thaew drivers see red over Grab
Chiang Mai’s Grab vs traditional public transport continues. The issue has simmered for two years with occasional outbreaks of violence and an ongoing war of words on social media. Thai PBS reports that the spat has become a major problem again between the public Red Song Thaews and Grab Cars in the northern city. On the one hand members of the public are finding Grab more convenient, personal and better service. While the Red Bus drivers are complaining that their income is dropping, by more than 50% in some cases. The Department of Land Transport and airport authorities reported 344 Grab drivers had been fined for picking up passengers at Chiang Mai airport since January 1. Speaking to Thai PBS, students said Grab was much better and provided a personal service often at only a small increased cost. “It goes to exactly where we want and is quicker than waiting for a Red Bus.” One student even claimed they had been dumped so that the Red Bus driver could pick up tourists – a more lucrative kind of passenger. The deputy of the local Red Bus association Bunreuang Wangmee said his organisation represented 2,465 members. While he admitted that some overcharged most kept to the 20 baht to 30 baht charges. He claimed that meant they were better value than Grab Car. He said that some of his members had seen their daily income plummet from 1,200 baht to 400-500 baht per day. SOURCE: ThaiPBS The post Chiang Mai Song Thaew drivers see red over Grab appeared first on The Thaiger Thailand news.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Chiang Mai Song Thaew drivers see red over Grab, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Phuket Gazette - Wednesday, 22 May
- Older News
- Vote! Motorbike riders injured in Chiang Mai underpass – VIDEO Phuket Gazette (Yesterday) - PHOTOS: Chiang Mai Traffic Police Many motorbike passengers and drivers have been injured as they headed down and stopped inside the Fa Harm Underpass in Chiang Mai yesterday. Chiang Mai...
- Vote! Two injured as ten year old air-con explodes at Chiang Mai shop Samui Times (3 days ago) - Spring News reported that two people were injured when a an air-conditioner exploded at the P. Wiwat shop near the Thung Siaw market on the Chiang Mai to Hod Road. ...
- Vote! Grab motorbike rider gets slashed by ‘win’ driver Phuket Gazette (3 days ago) - PHOTO: Facebook/Ratsita View A Grab rider had been assaulted by a knife-wielding motorcycle taxi rider in Bangkok. He had his lip slashed in the attack in the Banthat Thong district. He...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Shan State drug blitz nets big haul
- - Govt ready to host Asean summit
- - Pakistan says to get $3.4 billion in budgetary aid from ADB
- - Taiwan Beauty Pop-Up Store Thrills Malaysia
- - Japan’s anime industry in crisis even as global popularity soars
- - Two killed in motorcycle taxi brawl
- - 16 bedroom Patong bay Guest House for lease
- - any bedroom Private Cozy Villa up for grabs Kathu
- - What will Narendra Modi do in his new term as India’s prime minister?
- - HK extradition bill on hold but protests continue