Charity Rejects Spanish Offer to Take in African Migrants that Italy Rejected
Last update: 11:30 a.m.A Spanish humanitarian group on Sunday rejected Spain's offer to take in more than 100 mostly African migrants aboard a charity rescue ship that Italy had refused to let dock, saying it was too dangerous to sail that far."We are in a state of extreme humanitarian emergency," a spokeswoman for the Open Arms charity said. "What they need is to be disembarked now. It is unthinkable to navigate for six days; that is what it would takes for us to arrive at Algeciras," a Spanish port.The migrants were picked up by the Open Arms boat off the coast of Libya, but have been stranded off the shores of Italy for two weeks.Anti-immigrant Interior Minister Matteo Salvini has refused to let the migrants disembark on the southern Italian island of Lampedusa, part of his crackdown on charity rescue boats he claims facilitate the smuggling of migrants by human traffickers based in Libya.Spain said it was "inconceivable" that Italy refused to accept the migrants, ordering its port of Algeciras to be ready to receive the Open Arms boat.Open Arms, a Spanish-based charity that undertakes sea rescues of those trying to reach Europe as they flee from war, persecution or poverty, accused Salvini of using the 107 migrants for "xenophobic and racist propaganda." FILE - Migrants are evacuated by Italian Coast guards from the Open Arms Spanish humanitarian boat at the coasts of the Sicilian island of Lampedusa, southern Italy, Aug. 17, 2019.The office of Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said the situation aboard the vessel was "urgent" and "untenable" for the 107 migrants on board, including two children.The rescue charity said, "Spanish ports are not the closest or the safest for Open Arms... but for now Spain is the only country willing to accept it." But then it turned down... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Charity Rejects Spanish Offer to Take in African Migrants that Italy Rejected, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Sunday, 18 August
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Charity: Italy Allows Rescue Ship to Disembark Migrants in Lampedusa VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Italy has agreed to allow rescue ship Ocean Viking to disembark 82 migrants in the southern port of Lampedusa, the SOS Mediterranee charity which runs the vessel said Saturday."The Ocean...
- Vote! IOM Repatriates More Than 100 Migrants Stranded in Libya VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - The International Organization for Migration reports it has repatriated 127 African and Asian migrants stranded in Libya under difficult, brutal conditions.Tripoli’s Mitiga International airport was shut down last Sunday after...
- Older News
- Vote! Scarred by Libya Abuse, Migrants Hope for New Life in Europe VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - It was Mouctar Diallo's fifth attempt to reach Europe by sea. His previous four tries had been foiled by gangs on speedboats who returned him to Libya where he was...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Afghan Government Says Elections First, Peace Deal Afterward
- - Bangkok losing its gloss
- - Congo: Confirmed Ebola Deaths Near 2,000, Cases Over 3,000
- - Osama bin Laden's son Hamza killed in U.S. raid, Trump says
- - Phuket Opinion: Dangling the carrot
- - Tropical Storm Warning Discontinued in Bahamas
- - 'Bull' Wins Top Prize at Deauville
- - Zimbabwe's Mugabe Gets Tepid Turnout at Final Public Sendoff
- - Afghan Taliban send team to Russia after U.S. talks collapse
- - US Hospital Ship Dispatched for Migrants in Trinidad and Tobago