Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions
Canada's government on Friday dismissed China's warning of repercussions if Ottawa banned Huawei Technologies Co Ltd from supplying equipment to 5G networks, saying it would not compromise on security. China's ambassador to Canada issued the threat on Thursday as relations between the two nations continued to deteriorate after a senior Huawei executive was arrested in Vancouver last month on a U.S. extradition warrant. China has also detained two Canadians. Canadian officials are studying the security implications of 5G networks, the latest generation of cellular mobile communications, but their report is not expected in the immediate future, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters on Wednesday. Some Canadian allies have already imposed restrictions on using Huawei equipment, citing the risk of espionage. Canadian Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, asked at a cabinet retreat about the Chinese ambassador's remarks, said Ottawa had already made clear it would not cut corners on national security. "We understand that those sorts of comments will be made in the process, but we will make our judgment based on what is right for Canada and not be deterred from making the right decision," he told reporters. "We are determined to stand our ground based on what is right for Canada ... this is a tough and turbulent world." Goodale noted that China had made similar comments after Australia banned Huawei from supplying 5G equipment last year. Western intelligence agencies have for years raised concerns about Huawei's ties to China's government and the possibility its equipment could be used for espionage.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Canada Dismisses China's Warning of Huawei Ban Repercussions, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 18 January
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Reports: Britain Gives Huawei Limited Role in 5G Development VOA NEWS (Yesterday) - Britain will reportedly allow China's Huawei Technologies to play a limited role in the development of its 5G network, rejecting warnings from the United States and senior U.K. officials the...
- Older News
- Vote! ‘I’ll sail to Canada and dump their garbage there’: Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte threatens ‘war’ over waste dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte berated Canada on Tuesday in a long-running dispute over waste exported to the Southeast Asia nation, threatening to sail it back to Canada.Manila has filed several...
- Vote! The US is attacking Huawei and China — without its own 5G strategy CNBC - ASIA (4 days ago) - Experts say the Trump administration lacks a clear approach to 5G that goes beyond attacking Huawei, the world's biggest supplier of telecommunications equipment....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Post-Election, Indonesian President Expected to Go Soft on China Despite Maritime Flaps
- - Seastead lifted ashore at Phuket port
- - Kim Jong Un in Russia for Putin Meeting
- - Governor pushes water-shortage solutions
- - Philippines' Duterte says to sail garbage back to Canada
- - Indonesia election fraud allegations are "baseless”: minister
- - Who is Zahran Hashim, the radical cleric linked to Sri Lanka bombings?
- - JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa appoints Silvano Amolini as new executive chef
- - Violent protests break out in Solomon Islands as Manasseh Sogavare elected new prime minister
- - Foreign groups likely behind Sri Lanka attacks, U.S. ambassador says