Blast Near Kabul University Kills 6, Injures 27
The Associated Press contributed to this report.Updated July 19, 2019, 2:54 a.m.KABUL, AFGHANISTAN — An explosion Friday near a gate to the campus of Kabul University in the Afghan capital killed six people and injured at least 27 as students waited to take an examination, officials said.Afghan security forces are facing almost daily attacks by Taliban militants, despite reported progress in efforts by the United States to broker an end to Afghanistan's nearly 18-year war.There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Friday's blast just hours after Taliban militants set off two car bombs outside police headquarters in the southern city of Kandahar, killing at least 12 and wounding more than 80.Health ministry spokesman Wahid Mayar said there were students among the 27 injured taken to hospital after the blast, which a student at the university campus said took place while a number of students waited to appear for an exam.A student at the university campus said the explosion happened when a number of students were waiting near the campus gate to attend an exam. One or two vehicles caught fire after the explosion.The university compound houses several hostels where many students stay over the summer, attending classes and conducting research. The university is co-educational. Traffic was light in the area because Friday is a weekly holiday in Afghanistan.Kabul Police chief spokesman Ferdous Faramarz said a police team defused a second bomb that was placed close to the explosion site near a university gate.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Blast Near Kabul University Kills 6, Injures 27, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Friday, 19 July
- Older News
- Vote! Death Toll in Afghan Wedding Attack Rises to 80 VOA NEWS (2 days ago) - VOA correspondent Ayaz Gul contributed to this report from Islamabad. The death toll from a suicide bomb attack at a wedding in the Afghan capital, Kabul, last week has risen to...
- Vote! 63 killed, 182 wounded in Kabul wedding blast: official Bangkok Post (5 days ago) - KABUL: More than 60 people were killed and scores wounded in an explosion targeting a wedding in the Afghan capital, authorities said Sunday, the deadliest attack in Kabul in recent...
- Vote! At least 20 wounded, many feared dead in Kabul wedding blast Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - KABUL - At least 20 people were wounded in a blast at a Kabul wedding late Saturday, a local hospital said, while a witness told AFP he had seen many...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Climate change turns Greenland into strategic, economic hotspot
- - Hong Kong protesters target airport week after arrivals hall mayhem
- - UN: Myanmar Military Intended to Perpetrate Genocide Against Rohingya Muslims
- - Jewish Groups Speak Out Against Trump Immigration Policy
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Under Way
- - Crucial Round of US-Taliban Peace Talks Underway
- - US Tells Canada It's Urging China to Free Detained Canadians
- - New Sudan Sovereign Council Woman Vows to Uphold Rights of All
- - France, Greece To push for EU Solidarity on Migrant Crisis
- - South Korea Scrapping Intel Pact Strains US Alliance