Bangkok ready for flooding as rainy season arrives
In an effort to prevent repeated flooding in Bangkok, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday held meeting with authorities from five surrounding provinces to map out water management plan and preventive measures as heavy rains have been forecast during the forthcoming rainy season. The surrounding provinces include Nonthaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Chachoengsao, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakan. Highlight of the issues discussed was the flooding on Ngamwongwan Road in Chinnakhet 2 area where residents have repeatedly suffered flooding when the rainy season arrives. This area is the connecting point between Bangkok and Nonthaburi province and it is one of the four connecting points that are under special attention when there is heavy rain. The four connecting points that are the flood risk locations are Sukhumvit Road at Bearing BTS skytrain station at Soi LaSalle; Pahonyothin Road, between Sear Rangsit Department Store to Lam Luk Ka intersection; Chaeng Wattana Road, from Khlong Prapa canal to the Government Complex; and Ngamwongwan Road, from Soi Chinnakhet 2 to Khlong Prapa canal. The meeting discussed plan to integrate action to fight against flooding. After over three hours of discussion, Bangkok governor Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang said the meeting concluded that the agencies concerned will urgently prepare the readiness by cleaning the drainage system at the small roads which should be finished by July. The operation should be launched to open the water flowing by getting rid of the weed along waterways and dredge the canals. The operation should be finished this month. He said the meeting also agreed to deploy 1,500 water pumps at the flood risk areas, to inspect the four giant flood tunnels, making them ready to use In addition rapid response units at 108 locations will be set up and flood prevention and response centre will be open to distribute flood information... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Bangkok ready for flooding as rainy season arrives, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Thai PBS NETWORK - Wednesday, 6 June, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Thailand’s wet season officially starts tomorrow Phuket Gazette (5 days ago) - The rainy season in Thailand officially starts tomorrow. The Thai Meteorological Department deputy director-general Kornravee Sitthichivaphak says Thailand will see continued rains in most parts of the country from Monday. “The...
- Vote! Rainy season begins Monday Bangkok Post (6 days ago) - The scorching summer heat is finally coming to an end as weathermen have officially declared Monday as the beginning of the rainy season that will last until mid-October throughout most...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Panasonic joins firms stepping away from Huawei after US ban
- - Indonesian Protesters, Police Clash in Second Night of Post-election Unrest
- - Slowdown won't keep Chinese from calling Bangkok 'second home'
- - Study: Ozone-Killing Chemicals Traced to China
- - Smokin’ hut: Singapore’s solution for cigarette puffers
- - India election result: moment of truth arrives for Narendra Modi and BJP as vote counting begins
- - The true measure of Indian democracy is found outside the ballot box
- - Gama may become Muang Thong coach
- - 14 smuggled Burmese migrants rescued and alleged trafficker arrested
- - America and Japan’s vision of an Indo-Pacific free from Chinese threat runs into deep waters