Australian Cardinal's Future Likely to be Decided by Vatican After June Appeal
The Vatican’s former treasurer, Australian Cardinal George Pell, has been sentenced to prison for sexually abusing choir boys. Handing down the sentence Wednesday, the judge said Pell would be listed as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Pope Francis will now have to decide what will happen to his former close advisor. The 77-year-old cardinal was sentenced in Australia to six years by Victoria County Court Chief Judge Peter Kidd. The judge read the sentence, making it clear Pell would immediately start serving time in prison, although he has lodged an appeal that will be heard in June. "I set a non-parole period of three years and eight months," said Kidd. "That means you will become eligible to apply for parole after serving this non-parole period. Your release on parole will be a matter entirely for the parole board." No reaction was immediately forthcoming from the Vatican. The sentence came down on the very same day Pope Francis marked six years as head of the Catholic Church. He is on a weeklong spiritual retreat outside the Vatican, as is customary for him at the start of the Christian season of Lent. Pope Francis could decide to defrock Cardinal Pell, as the pontiff did in February with the archbishop of Washington, Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, for similar issues. No decision is likely to be made until Pell's appeal is heard. And Pell is not expected to return to Rome unless he is successful in overturning his conviction. In the event he is successful, it is unlikely Pell will be welcomed back in Rome. The more likely scenario is that he will no longer serve in any Church role but given his age and failing health, he likely will be granted a pension. Under Vatican rules, Church... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Australian Cardinal's Future Likely to be Decided by Vatican After June Appeal, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Wednesday, 13 March
- Older News
- Vote! Diplomacy Blooms as China Invites Vatican to Join Garden Expo VOA NEWS (5 days ago) - The Vatican said Tuesday it has accepted a Chinese invitation to take part in an international horticultural exhibition in a sign of blooming relations since their historic deal last year....
- Vote! Australian Media Companies Face Contempt Charges VOA NEWS (6 days ago) - More than 30 journalists and publishers are due to face court Monday over their coverage of Cardinal George Pell’s trial for child sex abuse. Prosecutors are seeking fines and jail...
- Vote! Australian media faces charges over convicted abuser Cardinal Pell trial, lawyer warns news reporting in jeopardy SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (7 days ago) - Charges against dozens of journalists and publishers in Australia over the reporting of Cardinal George Pell’s child sex abuse conviction will have a chilling effect on future news reporting if...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - PM2.5 levels surge in Chiang Rai
- - Thai woman murdered in Portugal
- - South firms upset at gas canister switch
- - Push for murder charges against drink-drivers divides force
- - Setting the record straight
- - Man found dead in pickup truck
- - Over 6,900 houses damaged by storms this month
- - PM pleased Thailand rated as “least miserable” country for 2019
- - People flock to marijuana fair in Buri Ram
- - Fishing trip boats destroyed by fire