At Least 5 People Killed in New Earthquake in Indonesia's Lombok Island
At least 5 people were killed by a strong earthquake that struck the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok and the neighboring island of Sumbawa Sunday evening. Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for the National Disaster Mitigation Agency, said Monday the deaths from the 6.9-magnitude quake were mainly the result of debris from collapsing buildings. The quake occurred just hours after a 6.3-magnitude quake shook Lombok, cutting off power to many parts of the island. Nugroho said hundreds of aftershocks have been recorded since Sunday's earthquakes, which triggered landslides on parts of Lombok and had residents fleeing into the streets in panic. Sunday's quakes come just two weeks after an earthquake on the same island left more than 400 dead. Ninik Rahayu of Ombudsman Indonesia, told VOA's Indonesian service that she was asked to leave her hotel in Lombok Sunday. "We frantically run outside," she said. The hotel management prevented guests from going back in "because there are some aftershocks," she added. "This is probably the fifth big earthquake today," Sumbawa resident Muta Aryani told VOA. She said village officials asked the panicked residents to move to a safer place. "Now we are in a big field," she said. Landslides were reported in a national park Sunday on Mount Rinjani, where hundreds were trapped after a July 29 earthquake that killed 17 people. The park has been closed since then. The 6.9-magnitude earthquake that struck on Aug. 5 killed 436 people and forced more than 350,000 people to flee their homes. Indonesia is prone to earthquakes due to its location on the Pacific "Ring of Fire,'' an arc of volcanoes and geologic fault lines in the Pacific Ocean Basin. In December 2004, a magnitude-9.1 earthquake off Sumatra island triggered a tsunami that killed 230,000 people in a dozen countries. VOA's Indonesian... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, At Least 5 People Killed in New Earthquake in Indonesia's Lombok Island, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 20 August, 2018
- In the last 5 hours
- Vote! Eight dead in Philippines after strong earthquake strikes north of Manila SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - At least eight people were killed when a magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck the Philippines’ main island of Luzon on Monday, and officials feared dozens could be trapped in the rubble...
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! 'Several' Killed in Philippines Earthquake VOA NEWS (Today) - A strong earthquake in the northern Philippines Monday left several people dead, trapping others in buildings and damaging the capital's secondary airport. The quake hit the main island of Luzon...
- Vote! Five dead in Philippines after strong earthquake strikes north of Manila SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Today) - Five people were killed when at least two buildings collapsed as a strong earthquake rocked the northern Philippines, a local official said.The quake also briefly knocking out power, caused boulders...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Police hunt for lifelong serial sex offender, rapist with mental problems at large in Phuket Town
- - Electricity supply cuts in Kathu
- - Trump Calls Sri Lankan PM, Expresses Condolences After Deadly Blasts
- - Police hunt for man for allegedly murdering ex-wife, mother-in-law
- - PM2.5 levels surge in Chiang Rai
- - Thai woman murdered in Portugal
- - South firms upset at gas canister switch
- - Setting the record straight
- - Man found dead in pickup truck
- - People flock to marijuana fair in Buri Ram