ASEAN Calls for Unity Amidst US - Sino Rivalry
Singapore urged regional leaders gathering Wednesday for a regional summit to unify and warned against threats to multilateral cooperation and international norms. “The existing free, open and rules-based multilateral system, which has underpinned ASEAN’s growth and stability, has come under stress,” said Singapore’s prime minister Lee Hsien Loong at the opening ceremony of 33rd Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit and other related gatherings. "It is unclear if the world will settle into new rules and norms of international engagement or whether the international order will break up into rival blocs," he warned. Lee urged the ten member countries of ASEAN to remain united and said that given challenges such as trade uncertainties and technological disruptions, multilateral cooperation is now “more urgent than ever.” ASEAN Centrality ASEAN is facing increasing external pressures including the escalating U.S. – Sino rivalry in the region. Its members are concerned trade tensions between... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, ASEAN Calls for Unity Amidst US - Sino Rivalry, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Sri Lanka's last-wicket win stuns SA
- - Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- - Uighur escapee caught, three more sought
- - Bollywood's first major LGBTQ film
- - Planting the seeds of mindfulness and beauty
- - Democrats confident of bagging 20 House seats in Bangkok
- - Reading elections in the stars
- - China Rebuffs Germany's Call for US Missile Deal With Russia
- - New Zealand bans Huawei, China has message for New Zealand
- - The week that shook Thai politics – and what comes next
- Older News
- Vote! SET drops, other Asean stock markets rise Bangkok Post (3 days ago) - The Stock Exchange of Thailand index ended lower, while other Southeast Asian stock markets closed...
- Vote! Middle Eastern states have lessons to learn from Asean in building friendship with China, say experts at Singapore conference SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (6 days ago) - Rivalry among countries in the Middle East is an obstacle to the region building closer...