ASEAN Agenda: Trade Tensions, Rohingyas and South China Sea
Southeast Asia’s top diplomats opened an annual meeting Thursday to tackle a slew of security concerns, including South China Sea territorial disputes, with host Singapore calling on the bloc to brace for external tumult such as rising protectionism. North Korea’s rapprochement with South Korea and the U.S. is expected to be welcomed by the Association of Southeast Asian Nations ministers, who began four days of meetings in Singapore with a working dinner Wednesday. Rising extremism and the plight of minority Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar’s Rakhine state are also under the spotlight. Founded in 1967 during the Cold War, ASEAN steadily weathered storms to become a stable 10-nation bloc, which now draws Asian and world powers in annual gatherings and is forecast to become the fourth-largest economy in the world in three decades. TPP alternative New challenges, however, include escalating trade tensions between the United States and other global powerhouses like... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, ASEAN Agenda: Trade Tensions, Rohingyas and South China Sea, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Phuket Immigration clarifies new rules on retirement visas to start March 1
- - Thai woman murdered in Phuket – police search for Greek husband
- - Hotel man faces years in jail for shooting stray dog that bit tourists
- - Tham Luang cave to be closed from Feb 19
- - Hua Hin: Thai woman trampled to death by elephants on her way to do the washing
- - Investigate this “mobile monk” sprinkling tourists with holy water!
- - Suspect in murder of two monks arrested
- - Iran summons Pakistan's envoy over deadly suicide bomb attack - Tasnim
- - Pakistan rolls out red carpet for Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed
- - Trump: US Trade Talks with China Making 'Big Progress'
- Older News
- Vote! Saudi crown prince heads for Pakistan amid India tensions REUTERS ASIA NEWS (Yesterday) - Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman is due to arrive in Pakistan on Sunday...
- Vote! Explained: South China Sea dispute SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The South China Sea, one of the world’s busiest waterways, is subject to several overlapping...
- Vote! Asia markets were subdued as investors wait for concrete developments in US-China trade talks CNBC - ASIA (4 days ago) - The South China Morning Post reported Wednesday that Chinese President Xi Jinping will meet with...