AOT reveal plans to build new airports in Chiang Mai and Phuket
Airports of Thailand have announced plans to build new airports in Chiang Mai and Phuket in order to meet an increase in passenger growth in the coming years. Both of the current airports in Chiang Mai and Phuket can not be expanded so sites have already been selected for construction of two completely new airports, TNA reported. At an AOT board meeting held on Thursday, it was agreed the two new airports would be built as part of a larger project to build 6 new airports in Thailand. AOT said that by 2038, 137,790 flights will be arriving at Chiang Mai airport, bring some 23.33 million passengers. However, the current planned expansion of the city’s airport which is due for completion by 2025 would only accommodate 20 million passengers. It’s a similar story in Phuket, where despite a recent upgrade the airport simply isn’t large enough to cope with the anticipated passenger growth. AOT predicts Phuket will receive 42.2 million passengers from 211,150 flights by 2038. However, the current airport facilities will only be able to handle 18 million passengers by 2022. In Chiang Mai the new airport will be located between San Kamphaeng district and Ban Thi district in Lamphun, where it will become a hub for travel in northern Thailand. Meanwhile, a site in Khok Kloi, Phang Nga, which is located adjacent to Phuket island has been earmarked for the new airport. The construction of the airports will cost 126 billion baht. Officials said construction of the new airports will begin next year and will be completed by 2025. Thai Visa / TNA The post AOT reveal plans to build new airports in Chiang Mai and Phuket appeared first on Samui Times.... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, AOT reveal plans to build new airports in Chiang Mai and Phuket, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Samui Times - Friday, 25 May, 2018
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! AoT plans land bidding this year Bangkok Post (Today) - Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) plans to organise a bid by the end of this year to find a concessionaire to develop one of two major plots of land adjacent...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! Chiang Mai Song Thaew drivers see red over Grab Phuket Gazette (Yesterday) - Chiang Mai’s Grab vs traditional public transport continues. The issue has simmered for two years with occasional outbreaks of violence and an ongoing war of words on social media. Thai...
- Older News
- Vote! Three vie for Suvarnabhumi duty-free shop contracts Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - King Power Duty Free, Bangkok Airways and Royal Orchid Sheraton (Thailand) submitted their bids to win the contract from Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) to run duty-free shops at Suvarnabhumi...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Panasonic joins firms stepping away from Huawei after US ban
- - Indonesian Protesters, Police Clash in Second Night of Post-election Unrest
- - Slowdown won't keep Chinese from calling Bangkok 'second home'
- - Study: Ozone-Killing Chemicals Traced to China
- - Smokin’ hut: Singapore’s solution for cigarette puffers
- - India election result: moment of truth arrives for Narendra Modi and BJP as vote counting begins
- - The true measure of Indian democracy is found outside the ballot box
- - Gama may become Muang Thong coach
- - 14 smuggled Burmese migrants rescued and alleged trafficker arrested
- - America and Japan’s vision of an Indo-Pacific free from Chinese threat runs into deep waters