Aid Groups: Indonesia Quake Victims in Desperate Need of Assistance
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is appealing for nine million dollars to provide emergency aid to some 80,000 survivors of two devastating earthquakes that have flattened large swathes of Indonesia’s picturesque tourist island of Lombok. The death toll from Sunday's quake now stands at 347, according to Indonesia's Antara news agency, as a smaller quake hit Lombok Thursday. Red Cross teams are still assessing the extent of the damage caused by the magnitude 6.9 earthquake. Sunday’s quake, which followed a smaller one July 29 has caused widespread devastation, affecting an estimated 600,000 people. The Red Cross describes the damage in north Lombok as exceptionally destructive, with 75 percent of the buildings in some villages damaged or turned into rubble. Red Cross Federation spokesman Matthew Cochrane said some of the more remote areas of the island are cut off and have not yet been visited. He said it will take many days for the full Impact of the disaster to emerge. “One of the interesting things coming in from our teams is the psychological toll of the earthquake. Teams speak of coming across ghost towns, of villages that have been essentially abandoned. People have left their homes. They are fearful of living, of staying inside or perhaps fearful of another major earthquake and a possible tsunami.” Cochrane said these emotional scars and the concerns of the remote communities will have to be addressed in addition to providing survivors with emergency shelter and other basic relief. The Red Cross reports some of the thousands of families forced to flee their homes are staying in evacuation centers or in makeshift camps in open areas. The agency says its appeal will provide emergency shelter supplies, as well as materials for repairing and rebuilding damaged houses. Over the... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Aid Groups: Indonesia Quake Victims in Desperate Need of Assistance, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Thursday, 9 August, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! Quake-hit school gifted with quake-resistant building Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - CHIANG RAI: The Japanese consulate-general has handed over an earthquake-resistant building to a nursery-primary school in Mae Lao district severely damaged by a quake five years ago....
- Vote! Undersea Quake Near Indonesia's Bali Causes Panic, Minor Damage VOA NEWS (3 days ago) - An undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 6.1 struck south of Indonesia's Bali on Tuesday, the European earthquake monitoring agency EMSC said, causing minor damage and prompting residents and visitors...
- Vote! At least 2 dead after strong quake in eastern Indonesia Bangkok Post (4 days ago) - JAKARTA: A strong, shallow earthquake struck eastern Indonesia on Sunday, damaging homes and killing at least two people, officials said....
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Trump Marks Apollo 11 Anniversary by Meeting Its Astronauts
- - Teachers from Abroad
- - Climate in Deep Time
- - Conservation and Jobs
- - Benefits of Trees
- - 2020 Dems Grapple with How To Pay for 'Medicare for All'
- - US Says It has Clear Evidence Navy Ship Downed Iranian Drone
- - Education, Environment and Explorers
- - Promise, Peril in Malaysia's Move to Lower Voting Age
- - Cricket: Bangladesh captain Mortaza out of Sri Lanka ODIs due to injury