Ahead of 2019 Election, Indonesia, Media Battle Fake News
As the third largest democracy in the world with a young, mobile-first population and low levels of digital literacy, Indonesia is highly susceptible to the spread of fake news and hoaxes. Government and media-led initiatives have sought to combat fake news, however with much of the misinformation spread via social media and WhatsApp, many fear the problem will only get worse in the lead up to national elections in April 2019. “Indonesia’s media landscape is quite diverse and there is enormous press freedom in the country compared to others in the region,” says Ross Tapsell, a media lecturer at the Australian National University’s College of Asia and the Pacific. “However, it’s increasingly manipulated and influenced by media owners who are linked to political parties … push[ing] out a more partisan version of political news.” Low literacy, partisan media Revolusi Reza, who is commonly known as Revo, is the secretary general... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, Ahead of 2019 Election, Indonesia, Media Battle Fake News, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Young doctor eyes poll win
- - Carlos Ghosn makes new request for bail, offering up passports and Nissan stock as collateral
- - Trump, Pelosi again butt heads over shutdown
- - Spurs squeak by Fulham, City win handily
- - U.S. Senator Graham urges Trump to meet Pakistan PM Khan
- - ‘Lub d’ Chaweng beach Koh Samui
- - World's Oldest Living Man Dies
- - Another Trump-Kim summit may be good for diplomacy, but will do little for denuclearization
- - Chadchart tipped as Pheu Thai's PM pick
- - New rules stink, say fishermen
- Older News
- Vote! Election 2019: Put it in your calendar – March 10 Phuket Gazette (4 days ago) - PHOTO: Protesters in Bangkok demanding the Thai Government announce election dates Bets are on for...
- Vote! Infographic: Youth and the election Prachatai (5 days ago) - Submitted on Tue, 2019-01-15 15:51PrachataiWe Watch (Youth Network for Election Watch and Democracy), a nonprofit organization...