After Tough Year, Hong Kong Democracy Protesters Warn China on New Year's Day
After a year that saw democracy advocates in Hong Kong jailed and ousted from public office, thousands marched through the streets of Hong Kong on New Year's Day to warn China not to meddle further in the city's affairs and undermine its autonomy. Over the past year, Hong Kong, a former British colony which returned to Chinese rule in 1997, has experienced what critics and pro-democracy activists describe as an intensifying assault on its autonomy by China's Communist Party leaders. This is despite Beijing's promises to grant the city wide-ranging freedoms including an independent judiciary, under a so-called "one country, two systems" framework. Besides the controversial jailing of several prominent young activists for unlawful assembly over the massive 2014 "Occupy" pro-democracy protests, authorities also ejected six pro-democracy lawmakers from the legislature for failing to take proper oaths of office. The city's reputation as one of Asia's most robust legal jurisdictions... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, After Tough Year, Hong Kong Democracy Protesters Warn China on New Year's Day, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'VOA NEWS'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Analysis: China Pulling out All Stops in Canada Tensions
- - Thai woman arrested for killing German husband in 10 million baht insurance scam
- - Man arrested after killing five family members in Uttaradit
- - Phuket lifeguard, 19, dies in motorbike crash
- - Don’t rip off tourists – be good hosts! – Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais
- - Exclusive: Sri Lanka says has $300 million loan offer from Bank of China, may increase to $1 billion
- - Top court orders compensation for Myanmar workers
- - Belarus Model Arrested for Thai Sex Seminar Pleads Guilty
- - PHUKET XTRA: VIDEO: Power cables explode! Politico, wife killed at home! Cops to track themselves? || Jan. 15
- - 'Made in China 2025' Feels Trade War Pinch
- Older News
- Vote! Hong Kong scientists claim 'broad-spectrum' antiviral breakthrough Bangkok Post (Yesterday) - HONG KONG: Hong Kong scientists claim they have made a potential breakthrough discovery in the...
- Vote! Asia stocks mostly higher amid improving investor sentiment following US gains CNBC - ASIA (5 days ago) - Major indexes in Japan, South Korea Hong Kong and China traded up as the Dow...
- Vote! Hong Kong luxury home buyer bails, loses $4.6m deposit ASIAN CORRESPONDENT (5 days ago) - A HOME buyer in Hong Kong has walked out of the purchase of a luxury...