ADB provides $235 million financing to Thailand’s renewable energy expansion
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed a loan equivalent of up to $235 million with Thailand’s B.Grimm Power to develop renewable energy capacity in a number of Southeast Asian countries. According to an official ADB release, the financing will support B.Grimm Power in its implementation of the ASEAN Distributed Power Project, which looks to expand its renewable power generation and distribution to new regional markets, including Cambodia, Indonesia and the Philippines. “The development of renewable energy in Southeast Asia is critical to meet its energy needs and B.Grimm Power is at the forefront of the region’s fast growing alternative energy sector,” said Michael Barrow, Director General of ADB’s Private Sector Operation’s Department. The financing comes after ADB picked up a $57.7-million equity stake in B.Grimm Power in July 2017 as part of the latter’s initial public offering. (IPO). The proceeds were earmarked to fund the power firm’s 114MW of solar projects and 16MW of wind power in Thailand as well as renewable energy projects in Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam. B.Grimm Power, which is a subsidiary of the 140-year old conglomerate B.Grimm Group, currently has a total capacity of 1,779 MW. It operates 13 gas-fired plants, with four more under development or construction. The company’s capacity is expected to increase by over 50 per cent to 2,500 megawatts (MW) by 2022, while the renewable energy share in its portfolio will rise from 10 per cent to 30 per cent. Southeast Asia is a huge market for power generators given the projected surge in the region’s energy demand of more than 8 per cent annually between 2009 to 2030. According to The International Renewable Energy Agency, Thailand is currently the region’s leader in solar power use, having broken into the top 15 globally in 2016, with a... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, ADB provides $235 million financing to Thailand’s renewable energy expansion, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: Thailand Business News - Friday, 2 March, 2018
- Older News
- Vote! ADB Supports Private Sector Solar Power Development in Mongolia ASIA TODAY (3 days ago) - Mar 21, 2019 Picture: ULAANBAATAR, MONGOLIA (20 March 2019) — The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure Fund (LEAP) today signed an $18.7 million loan...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Tsunami alert declared for southern Thailand
- - Pheu Thai leads, but PPRP strong second
- - Polls Close in Thailand
- - Vigils Against Racism Held In New Zealand
- - Thais Cast Ballots Marking "A Return to Democracy"
- - Trash Talk: Tackling waste in Phuket
- - Thai military party neck and neck with Pheu Thai opponent
- - PPRP poised to win most votes, Abhisit quits
- - Japan cancels deportation of Taiwanese man in same-sex relationship
- - 1,500 ballots from New Zealand invalidated after late arrival