Abe Mum on Trump's Claim of Nomination for Nobel Peace Prize
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe kept quiet Monday over President Donald Trump's claim that he had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize, but praised him and emphasized he did not deny doing so. Trump's assertion Friday that Abe had nominated him for the honor and sent him a copy of the letter has raised questions and criticism in Japan. Questioned in parliament, Abe praised Trump for his dealings with North Korea but said, "In light of the Nobel committee's policy of not disclosing recommenders and nominees for 50 years, I decline to comment." Neither the prime minister nor his spokesman denied Trump's comment. "I never said I didn't" nominate him, Abe said in response to a follow-up question by Yuichiro Tamaki, a lawmaker for the opposition Democratic Party for the People. Tamaki said in a tweet Monday that he was concerned such a nomination would "send the wrong message to North Korea and the rest of international society." Junya Ogawa, another opposition lawmaker, cited various policies and actions by Trump that he said ran contrary to the spirit of the peace prize, calling the nomination "an embarrassment for Japan." In responding to Tamaki's questions in parliament, Abe lauded Trump for meeting with Kim and working to resolve the crisis over North Korea's nuclear program and missile tests. Trump had also addressed Japan's concerns over past abductions of Japanese citizens by North Korea, Abe said, adding "he and the entire White House also actively cooperated in resolving the issue." "I highly praise President Trump's leadership," Abe said. Trump's claim that Abe had sent him a "beautiful copy" of a letter sent to the Nobel committee could not be immediately verified. Nor could a report Sunday by the Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, citing unidentified government sources, that Abe had nominated Trump... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline, plus more articles from around Thailand and Asia like, Abe Mum on Trump's Claim of Nomination for Nobel Peace Prize, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give us a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you leave. Thank you
Published By: VOA NEWS - Monday, 18 February
- In the last 12 hours
- Vote! As Donald Trump and Shinzo Abe celebrate ties and sidestep trade dispute, Beijing will be watching closely SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - When US President Donald Trump arrives in Tokyo on Saturday, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s strategy to make the four-day state visit a success will be to highlight close bilateral and...
- In the last 24 hours
- Vote! As Trump and Abe celebrate ties and sidestep trade dispute, Beijing will be watching closely SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (Yesterday) - When US President Donald Trump arrives in Tokyo on Saturday, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s strategy to make the four-day state visit a success will be to highlight close bilateral and...
- Older News
- Vote! What does Shinzo Abe’s name change have to do with colonialism and ‘unenlightened Westerners’? SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST (2 days ago) - The Japanese government has a message for the English-speaking world – say our prime minister’s name correctly.On Tuesday, Japan asked that the premier be referred to as Abe Shinzo –...
Popular Asia Job Post Articles
- - Bomb in Afghan mosque kills senior cleric during Friday prayers
- - Doctors could be dishing out weed by end of June
- - HK leader decries German asylum for 'bail jumpers'
- - Thailand’s King Vajiralongkorn urges post-election parliament to focus on national stability
- - Three Indians die on overcrowded Everest
- - Trump Heads to Japan for State Visit
- - Indian election results: What next for Rahul Gandhi and Congress after their flop at the polls?
- - Chartthaipattana ties knot with Palang Pracharath
- - Sri Lanka in talks with India, Japan to build container terminal in Colombo
- - Pot prescriptions possible by end of June