11 convicted for detaining, raping girl in Phang Nga
THE CRIMINAL Court yesterday convicted all 11 defendants for detaining and gang-raping a girl in their hometown in Phang Nga province for several months in 2016. Of the convicts, seven received life imprisonment, while the remainder got lengthy jail terms ranging from 15 to 45 years. The court also ordered them to pay Bt18 million in compensation to the victim, now 16, and her mother. The compensation will include interest at 7.5 per cent a year since the day the case was filed with the court on June 15 last year. “We are satisfied with the verdict,” said Hanif Yongstar, secretary-general and lawyer with the Muslim for Peace Foundation. “But we will continue our fight to bring other culprits to justice too.” According to the victim, she was sexually violated by more than 40 men between May and December 2016, but could not remember all the assailants’ faces because she... If you wish to read this full breaking news headline article, 11 convicted for detaining, raping girl in Phang Nga, simply click on 'Read full story' below, but 1st please give 'Phuket Hotel Deals' a 'LIKE' or 'SHARE' before you visit 'Samui Times'. Thank you
Popular Asia News Articles
- - Thai General Elections Set for March
- - Pakistan unveils tax cuts, incentives to boost growth
- - Malaysian royals to pick new king after historic abdication
- - Horse named 'Australian of the year'
- - Real Madrid take top spot from Man Utd in 'money league'
- - Call for Patong Hill caution as tour bus involved in multiple-vehicle wipeout
- - More gun-toting drug suspects arrested
- - German man dies after seven-storey fall in Patong
- - Thailand to hold elections on 24 March
- - Army: ‘No knowledge’ of dead activists stuffed with concrete